Friday, April 10, 2009

Helpful Sites

So I love this site, BUT it is extremely slow to load and seems to really soak up bandwidth.  Even with that said I still love it.  You can search for plants by common name or scientific name and the results have good descriptions (the majority of my flower descriptions come from The Backyard Gardener), links to Google Images, characteristics and requirements.  One thing I really like about the results is they define what each of the sun requirements mean, whether full sun, part sun, etc.

I can't really give a better description of the site than their homepage can.  If you hadn't noticed, almost all of my plant posts contain "Dave's Garden info" at the bottom due to the excellent one stop resource of information they have.  The only thing it really lacks is a brief description of the plant, but oftentimes the members post comments on the bottom of each page with descriptions and why they have it.  Another reason I like this site is the botanical dictionary.  For each scientific name there is pronunciation following it with a link to the dictionary to find out the meaning of the Latin word (which is often intriguing and insightful).

Easy to Grow Bulbs
This site has excellent descriptions of the plants visual and olfactory attributes.

The Gardener's Network has excellent resource on how to grow certain plants, with information on how to grow in the ground or in a container.  They don't refer to Hardiness Zones, but say "in colder regions" etc.  They have easy descriptions of how to dig up and save the bulbs or corms and store inside for the next year, easy enough that it made me feel like I have the ability to do it!

This site has 3 great searches for Perennials and the results are listed by scientific name followed by how many hits of that plant there are. Their Advanced Search allows you to input the characteristics you are looking for as well as the enviroment your desired plant will be living in.  The Keyword Search has you put in a keyword.  And there Characteristic Search allows you to choose one of 5 divisions of Characteristics.  All of the search results are able to be furthered refined.

The information they have on each plant is fantastic.  You get a picture, a description, characteristics and requirements for each.  The description has great information on the visual characteristics of the plant as well as information on how to encourage a second bloom, how to collect the seeds, how to keep from getting out of hand, etc.

Here is a site I could get lost in.  The Welcome Page says it all.

I love this site and I have not explored it nearly enough.  From vegetable guides, to searching for flowers, to their food gardening guide, to their weed identification it is excellent.  It was actually their weed id that made me fall in love.  I have a bindweed infestation, which is really not pleasant, and I have done several hours of research on how to get rid of the noxious weed.  The description and info they give is right on.  The only thing they don't mention is goats.  Goats apparently like to eat bindweed, so now I want a goat.  I don't think that will go over to well with the city... 

This is more like an online magazine, but I have found some helpful info on it in magazine article style, not straight to the point no fluff stuff.

I am so happy I found this site.  While searching for what tulip variety I had, due to the ambiguous packaging I was blessed to find this fabulous site.  For many bulbs they give an introduction, list, describe, and give pictures for the different categories of flowers.  For instance Tulips, there are 16 categories of tulips!  Each is described with pictures of several different varieties.  Another site I would like to spend more time on.

No comments:

Post a Comment